USD fraternity finishes sixth annual PIKE Week of Service
VERMILLION, SD – March 31, 2017 — For the sixth consecutive year, the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity (PIKE) at the University of South Dakota hosted the chapter’s signature event, PIKE Week of Service. PIKE Week of Service raises funds and awareness for charitable causes, while providing daily community service opportunities.
Beginning on Sunday, March 26 and culminating on Friday, March 31, more than 90 PIKE members and hundreds of students and community members came together to raise thousands of dollars and service hours for the local community – and beyond. PIKE Week of Service events include:
- PIKE Cares – USD’s four sororities and the men of Pi Kappa Alpha created cards for children currently hospitalized at Sanford Children’s Hospital, the Castle of Care, in Sioux Falls, SD. Each year, more than 60,000 children are cared for at Sanford Children’s Hospital.
- Change for Change – a week-long event where PIKES lived in boxes on campus while collecting funds and canned food items to raise awareness for southeast South Dakota’s homeless population.
- Stocking at the Vermillion Food Pantry – The USD PIKES stocked shelves and assisted with various projects at the Vermillion Food Pantry, Monday March. 27.
- Beyond School Adventures – The PIKES will have travelled to Jolley Elementary School on Tuesday, March 28 to take part in Beyond School Adventures.
- Mercy Meals – PIKES traveled to Yankton, SD to volunteer at Mercy Meals to package meals for starving children living developing countries around the world. This year, the PIKES packaged over 2000 meals for starving children.
- 12th annual PIKES in the Park – a fundraiser that benefits Cure Kids Cancer was held on Thursday, March 30 from 5 – 7 p.m. on the USD campus. Attendees enjoyed walking tacos, lawn games, and music.
- Hospital Celebration – on Friday, March, 31, the USD PIKES travel to Sanford Children’s Hospital, the Castle of Care, in Sioux Falls, SD, to host a celebration for children and hospital staff. Care packages, cake, and cards were delivered to staff and hospitalized children.
- Vermillion Public Schools Parent Teacher Organization Carnival – During the evening of Friday, March 31, USD PIKES will be helping with the PTO Carnival for the Vermillion Public Schools.
- Change War Letter Competition – USD’s four sorority chapters painted PIKE letters and raised funds for Cure Kid’s Cancer as part of a Change War Letter Competition.
During the 2015-16 academic year, PIKE Week of Service helped the chapter make a significant impact. With service, as one of the chapter’s cornerstones, the PIKES raised more than $39,700 for charity, and the men gave more than 13,100 service hours, respectively.
To learn more, contact Dominick McClendon at Dominick.McClendon@coyotes.usd.edu, or at 605-360-5294.