USD fraternity kicks off sixth annual PIKE Week of Service, March 26 – 31 Annual PIKE Week of Service produces thousands of dollars, service hours for charity
VERMILLION, SD – March 26, 2017 — For the sixth consecutive year, the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity (PIKE) at the University of South Dakota will host the chapter’s signature event, PIKE Week of Service. PIKE Week of Service raises funds and awareness for charitable causes, while providing daily community service opportunities.
Beginning on Sunday, March 26 and culminating on Friday, March 31, more than 90 PIKE members and hundreds of students and community members will come together to raise thousands of dollars and service hours to the local community – and beyond. PIKE Week of Service events include:
• PIKE Cares – USD’s four sororities and the men of Pi Kappa Alpha will create cards for children currently hospitalized at Sanford Children’s Hospital, the Castle of Care, in Sioux Falls, SD. Each year, more than 60,000 children are cared for at Sanford Children’s Hospital.
• Change for Change – a week-long event where PIKES will live in boxes on campus while collecting funds and canned food items to raise awareness for southeast South Dakota’s homeless population. • Stocking at the Vermillion Food Pantry – The USD PIKES will be stocking shelves and assisting with various projects at the Vermillion Food Pantry, Monday March. 27.
• Beyond School Adventures- The PIKES will travel to Jolley Elementary School on Tuesday, March 28 to take part in Beyond School Adventures. • Mercy Meals – PIKES will travel to Yankton, SD to volunteer at Mercy Meals to package meals for starving children living developing countries around the world.
• 12th annual PIKES in the Park – a fundraiser that benefits Cure Kids Cancer will be held on Thursday, March 30 from 5 – 7 p.m. at Prentis Park in Vermillion. For $5 attendees will enjoy walking tacos, lawn games, and music.
• Hospital Celebration – on Friday, March, 31, the USD PIKES will travel to Sanford Children’s Hospital, the Castle of Care, in Sioux Falls, SD, to host a celebration for children and hospital staff. Care packages, cake, and cards will also be delivered to the hospital at this time.
• Change War Letter Competition: USD’s four sorority chapters painted PIKE letters and raised funds for Cure Kid’s Cancer as part of a Change War Letter Competition.