USD fraternity exceeds 5,000 service hours during PIKE Week of Service, makes $25,000 commitment to charity
VERMILLION, SD – April 17, 2016 — For the fifth consecutive year, the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity (PIKE) at the University of South Dakota hosted chapter’s signature event, PIKE Week of Service. Events culminated today, Friday, April 15. Pi Kappa Alpha members and hundreds of students and community members will come together to raise thousands of dollars and service hours to the local community – and beyond.
KC Herman, a third-year student of Milford, NE and Pi Kappa Alpha’s president, feels honored by the generosity shown to the fraternity and the causes the chapter supports. “Our chapter is filled with men who strive to make a difference,” Herman said. “We are honored by the generosity shown to the causes we care so deeply about,” he added.
This year, to honor the fifth year, the chapter committed $25,000, or $5,000/year, for local children battling cancer through Brave Kids Bold Cures, an initiative of Sanford Health Foundation.
Brave Kids Bold Cures, powered by passionate community of supporters, helps ensure Sanford Children’s Hospitals have the resources and capacity to treat children with cancer closer to home. We also assist families with expenses not covered by insurance, including travel, meals and lodging. Moreover, the chapter eclipsed the 5,000 service hour mark thanks to PIKE Week of Service. Events included:
- Change for Change – a week-long event where PIKES lived in boxes on campus while collecting funds and canned food items to raise awareness for southeast South Dakota’s homeless population.
- PIKE Cares – Join the USD PIKES in the Muenster University Center Pit Lounge on Monday, April 11, from 3 p.m. until 5 p.m. to assemble care packages for local children battling cancer.
- Special philanthropic partnership presentation – On Monday, April 11, the PIKES announced the $5,000/year pledge to Brave Kids Bold Cures.
- USD Children’s Center Celebration – On Tuesday, April 12, the PIKES will host activities for children served at the USD Children’s Center
- 10th annual PIKES in the Park – Fundraising event at Prentis Park, where guests enjoyed walking tacos, lawn games, and music.
- Mercy Meals – PIKES traveled to Yankton, SD to serve at Mercy Meals.
- Hospital Celebration – on Friday, April, 15, the USD PIKES traveled to Sanford Children’s Hospital, the Castle of Care, in Sioux Falls, SD, to host a celebration for children and hospital staff. Care packages will also be delivered to the hospital at this time.
- Change War Letter Competition: USD’s four sorority chapters painted PIKE letters and raised funds for Brave Kids Bold Cures as part of a Change War Letter Competition.
For further information regarding PIKE Week of Service and to set up an interview, please contact Sawyer Stevens at 507-829-0183, or by email at Sawyer.Stevens@coyotes.usd.edu.