Pi Kappa Alpha was founded March 1, 1868 at the University of Virginia. The International organization is now 225 chapters and colonies strong, with 275,000 lifetime initiates. Founded in 1931, the local Gamma Pi chapter at the University of Oregon includes almost 700 alumni, including Olympic running legend Steve Prefontaine. We hold ourselves to the highest of standards and work hard to sustain our storied history. We believe in creating an environment of education and brotherhood in order to bring out the best man in each of our members.
Once A PIKE, Always A PIKE
Pi Kappa Alpha was founded in Room 47 West Range at the University of Virginia in 1868. Since then, it’s developed into an international brotherhood and become one of the largest fraternal organizations in the world.
How? It’s simple. Pi Kappa Alpha has remained dedicated to developing men of integrity, intellect, success and high moral character, and to fostering a truly lifelong fraternal experience.
Pi Kappa Alpha is composed of more than 275,000 lifetime members, 220 chapters and 150 alumni associations in North America. In the last 10 years, PIKE membership grew by 51% and maintains the largest average chapter size of North American fraternities. Between 2014 and 2016, Pikes raised over $4.5 million and contributed 600,000+ hours in community service.
The Pi Kappa Alpha Foundation
• Founded in 1948 as a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization for charitable, literary & educational purposes
• Provides funding to the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity & its chapters for Pike University leadership programs, academic scholarships & chapter house facilities
• North America’s premier fraternal leadership program
• Administers Pi Kappa Alpha’s leadership & educational programming through various international and regional conferences throughout the year
• Grants more than $100,000 in Pike University scholarships each year
Nickname- PIKE; members are known as Pikes
March 1, 1868- Founded at the University of Virginia. 220+ Chapters and Colonies across the United States & Canada. Over 280,000 lifetime initiates & 16,000 undergraduate members
Official Colors- Garnet & Gold
Official Flower- Lily-of-the-Valley
Official Magazine- Shield & Diamond
Memorial Headquarters- Located in Memphis, TN, the building is a memorial to brothers who gave their lives in the defense of their country and home to the International Fraternity and Foundation staffs