Zeta Alpha A-Kettering University

1 

On January 31, 1932, Phi Kappa Epsilon became the second fraternity at General Motors Institute. The original objectives of these men were to:

  • Foster the study of engineering and industrial management at Kettering.
  • Encourage scholarship and the association of students to their mutual advantage.
  • Promote closer affiliation between the GM Corporation and students at Kettering.
  • Further high standards of ethics and culture.

In 1962, the “œPhi Kaps”, as they were then known, formed a national affiliation committee and began the task of selecting the national fraternity which they felt would be the most compatible to the Phi Kappa Epsilon’s objectives. After carefully studying over 20 national fraternities, the committee selected Pi Kappa Alpha.

On March 23, 1963, 60 men of the Phi Kappa Epsilon local fraternity were installed as an official colony of Pi Kappa Alpha. Pikes from nearby Delta Beta Chapter (Bowling Green State University), Delta Nu Chapter (Wayne State University), and Epsilon Epsilon Chapter (University of Toledo) took part in the official colonization at GMI.

Eight months later, on November 10, 1963, the colony at GMI became the Zeta Alpha Chapter of the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity. All previous alumni and member of Phi Kappa Epsilon local fraternity were invited to become initiates of Pi Kappa Alpha, and most elected to do so.

Since then, the chapter has had a long running history of one of the top fraternities on campus fostering students, leaders, athletes, and gentlemen.

pike-house